Saturday, March 1, 2014

Is Your Medicine Making You Sicker?



 Everyone takes medicine in order to get better. However, for people with food allergies, that may be more difficult than it sounds. Most people with food allergies are aware that foods can contain ingredients that they are allergic to, but medicines can also contain these same ingredients.  In fact, if you have a wheat, corn, or dairy allergy, there is a good possibility that the prescription and over the counter medicines you currently take are making you sicker.

The binders that keep the medicine together in the pill form are usually a starch.  The starch can include: 

dextran (corn or potato)
dextrins (corn, wheat, potato, or rice)
dextrates (corn, wheat, potato, or rice)
dextrose (sugar from corn starch)
lactilol and lactose (dairy)
maltodextrin (corn, wheat, potato, or rice)
pregelatinized starch (corn, wheat, potato, or tapioca)
sodium starch glycolate (potato, wheat, or corn)

Pharmaceutical companies are required to list the inactive ingredients in medications, but not their source. I have found that even asking a pharmacist about binders in medicines receives a blank stare. Since I am allergic to corn, I have found very few medicines that are corn free. My gluten allergy has not been as hard to work with for medicines, even though companies are not required to label their medicines gluten free. No matter what, your best bet is to call the manufacturer to find out the source.

What do you do if you are allergic to the medicines you need to take? Check your local area for a compound pharmacy. I have a terrific one in my hometown that will make my medicine for me without my food allergens. It is so great to know that I can eliminate my medications as a possible cross contaminate if I get a reaction. I have found that many doctors are unaware of compound pharmacies, but just ask them to write you a prescription like they always do and add your food allergies to the prescription. The cost will be more for compound pharmacy medications, but many health insurance companies will allow you to apply it toward a deductible or cover the cost.   

No comments:

Post a Comment