Monday, June 2, 2014

Travel Tip: Farmers Markets


Sometimes, my travels land me in a town with no Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fresh Market, or even a decent grocery store (yes, Vidalia, GA, I am talking about you with Big Lots listed as one of three grocery store options in town besides a Walmart and an ancient BiLo!). Instead of feeling deprived during the trip and hoping I thought to pack some treats ahead of time, I check out the local farmers market. With fresh veggies, fresh fruit, grass fed meats, cheeses, and even gluten free treats occasionally, farmers markets are great places to stock up for a trip. 


A couple of years ago, there was a farmers market literally right next door to my hotel for the week in Harrisburg, PA. It had a great selection, and I stopped by every day it was open.  


One of my favorite farmers markets is right in my own hometown. The Cobblestone Market takes place in Old Salem every Saturday in the summer and vendors from all over the state of North Carolina pitch their tents first thing in the morning.  The variety of options is amazing, and I love how the market runs all morning, so even the late sleepers can take advantage of it. There are fresh veggies, fresh herbs, fresh fruits, various types of antibiotic free poultry and grass fed meats, handmade soaps, baked goods (still waiting for some gluten free options), and live music.  Local favorites, Camino Bakery has baked breads and pastries, while Krankie's Coffee prepares their well-known coffee to sip on while you stroll.  People gather to chat, catch up with friends, and bring their families and their dogs. I think it is a great opportunity to get a taste of the local culture and score some deals in the process.

A quick Internet search can give you an idea of the local farmers markets for your next trip. I have already mapped out my visits to the local farmers markets in Illinois and Indiana for my next trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment