Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Birthday Cake Blues





Do birthdays get you down when you have food allergies? I can relate. Being gluten free for eight years, I think I have only had a birthday cake three times during those years. The first was a disastrous attempt at baking myself a gluten free cake. I was determined to feel “normal” and have a birthday cake like everyone else, which turned out to be more of a door stop than a cake. The second, a couple years later, was another homemade attempt that was much tastier, but still not exactly like the gluten filled birthday cakes of my past. The third, yesterday, was one delicious slice (Strawberry Cake Roll in photo above with the super tall unlit candle. Where is a match when you need one?), made at Camino Bakery in Winston-Salem, NC, one of the local bakeries that takes great care in making a gluten free cake or two once a week for its gluten free customers (and sell out every week, I might add!). The funny part is that I am kind of over the whole birthday cake is mandatory for a great birthday idea. I had a great birthday and now focus more on spending time with family and friends instead of chowing down on a birthday cake, even with all of the wonderful allergen free options available these days. If I was kid in grade school, I know I would not feel deprived with the options available today. Having a yummy cake to share with friends is still important for young children and I am so glad that allergen free kids do not have to feel left out thanks to the extra efforts made by their parents. 
If you don’t live near a bakery that can accommodate your allergen needs and you are looking for a good cake mix, I recommend the 1-2-3 Gluten Free Cake Mixes. Each mix is certified gluten free, GMO free, made in the USA, and contain no sugar to allow you to add the sweetener of your choice. Another thing I love about 1-2-3 Gluten Free is the generous size of the cakes the mixes produce. No small loaf pan for these mixes! My favorites are the Hint of Lemon Pound Cake and the Chocolate Bundt Pound Cake. They are gluten free, wheat free, soy free, egg free, corn free, dairy free, casein free, tree nut free, peanut free, and sugar free.  They also have a yellow cake mix, devil’s food chocolate cake mix, brownies, cookies, pan bars, biscuits, muffins, pancake mix, and an all-purpose flour, all free of most allergens. 

With all of this talk about cake, I may have to turn my birth-day into “birth-week” and crank up the oven and break out the mixing bowls!  A trip to Camino Bakery for a slice of their gluten free cake of the week may be in order too... right after I hit the gym… ;-)

Camino Bakery
310B West Fourth St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
http://caminobakery.com/

1-2-3 Gluten Free
http://www.123glutenfree.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment