Monday, May 5, 2014

Do You Keep A Food Journal?



Do you ever feel sick and know you accidentally ate something you are allergic to, but cannot figure out how or where you ate it? I recommend starting a food journal, where you track everything you eat.  A food journal is great if you are traveling or eating out at restaurants a lot. Even food you prepare at home can have cross contamination or hidden ingredients that can cause a reaction. I thought I was getting a safe meal at a certain restaurant, but always had symptoms after eating there.  Without my food journal, I may not have connected the two.

Food journals are also great for writing down your symptoms and how you feel each day. Once you pinpoint a food you cannot tolerate, you can also figure out the duration of the reaction.


I have also found that I get hungry faster since going wheat gluten and corn free. I now tend to eat fewer carbs, so my food journal helps me make sure I am eating enough to stay nourished through my sport.

Food journals come in many different forms. Writing down meals in a journal is great. Putting a small notebook in your purse or backpack works as well. For those of you who are techno-geeks, you can download a food journal app to track your meals on your phone or tablet. I use the mySymptoms Food Tracker, which allows you to input food, symptoms, medicines, exercise, and more. It also can provide you a PDF printout to take to your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment