Thursday, June 4, 2015

EAT: Downstream Lounge, Jasper, AB

Jasper, AB is a quaint town in the middle of the Canadian Rockies. Breathtaking views, yet small towns can seem daunting with food allergies. Downstream, located right in the heart of downtown Jasper, is ready to accommodate. 
Downstream has its gluten free items clearly listed on the menu. Even the Poutine is gluten free (gravy is not corn free). I had to try it sans gravy. Fries (in a dedicated fryer) with bacon and cheese curds were so good. 
The menu stated that the Elk Sirloin was gluten free. I have never had elk, so I had to try it. Lean and not gamey, elk tastes a lot like veal. Very tasty. I had to have the sweet potato fries (dedicated fryer) as my side. Delicious dinner!
My dinner companion ordered the Duck Sandwich without the bun. Downstream does have gluten free bread, but we passed on trying it. The duck sandwich was sliced duck breast smothered in cheese. 

Please note, a bunless burger can be my go to when eating out. However, Downstream's burger patties have panko bread crumbs. I was impressed that our server checked with the chef and told us before ordering. They were all very accommodating to make sure we had the safest meal possible. Definitely check out Downstream when in Jasper, AB. 

Side note: Ketchup in Canada has sugar, not high fructose corn syrup!

Downstream Lounge
620 Connaught Dr. 
Jasper, AB

No comments:

Post a Comment