Thursday, June 11, 2015

EAT: Charcut Roast House, Calgary, Alberta

When in Calgary, Alberta, head downtown and enjoy a meal at Charcut. I love a great charcuterie board and this restaurant does not disappoint. The menu is laid out in tapas style, but the portions are generous and definitely can be eaten family style, sharing among several people. I also really like that the menu states that most of the items are gluten free or can be made gluten free. Oh, and did I mention they have gluten free bread?!
We had to order the charcuterie board to start. Oh my! It is so massive, it could easily have been dinner by itself. The chef selection (changes daily) was gluten free, made in house, and complete with shredded cheese and stone ground mustard. I would fly back to Calgary just to order it again!
Not realizing how big the charcuterie board would be, my dinner companion and I ordered the sausage burger minus the bun (egg on the side since I am egg free and he is not). Also, for my new love of beets, we ordered the marinated and pickled beets with goat cheese and walnuts. The beets were delicious as was the burger. In fact, most of the burger was taken home as leftovers and was quite tasty the next day. 
We had to order the gluten free bread. After verifying that it was also corn free, we were served some of the best gluten free bread I have tasted. It is from Care Bread Bakery (www.carebakery.com), made right in Calgary! I was able to find it at another restaurant in Banff, so check their Web site for locations. The bread was flavorful and not crumbly, like gluten free bread can be. 
Also wanted to mention that I celebrated my birthday at Charcut! It was the perfect  place for a great gluten free meal, and they even brought me out a cup of coconut sorbet to celebrate. I definitely enjoyed my meal there and really appreciate the care our server took to ensure we had a safe meal. Can't wait for my next trip back!

P.S. It was hopping on the Tuesday night we dined, so be sure to make a reservation on Open Table (www.opentable.com)!

Charcut Roast House
899 Centre Street
Calgary, AB 
www.charcut.com





No comments:

Post a Comment