Friday, July 11, 2014

EAT: Oak Steakhouse, Charleston, SC



You know, sometimes you just need a good steak! In Downtown Charleston, SC, the place to find a great one is Oak Steakhouse. Named one of the Best Steakhouses in America by Travel + Leisure Magazine and The Daily Meal, as well as Charleston's Best Steakhouse by The Charleston City Paper, Oak is located on Broad Street. Dimly lit, with branches and birds painted on the walls, the ambiance was great. It is located in the restored 150 year-old South Carolina Loan and Trust Building and has three floors of dining rooms. 

While Oak did not have an allergen or gluten free menu, my server was very knowledgeable about food allergies and the manager even stopped by to check on the table to make sure our dining experience was enjoyable. 


After a long hot day on the golf course, followed by a boat ride, my dinner companion and I were starving so we jumped right into the main course. Our server was raving about the Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad, so we added that as a side. It was delicious! The tomatoes were flavorful and the mozzarella cheese was fresh. 


I ordered an 8oz filet and was assured it would be free of my allergens. It was one of the best filets I have ever tasted. It was cooked to a perfect medium. 

My dinner companion chose the Ribeye and added the Foie Gras. I had never had Foie Gras before and was not sure if I would like it. Its taste was a little strong for me, but I am always interested in trying new things. Foie Gras is goose liver and is only sold in certain parts of the country. This delicacy dates back to the Egyptians in 2500 BC and is very popular in France. 

Oak Steakhouse has a great selection of steaks, as well as other dishes. Like many of the great restaurants in downtown Charleston, Oak sources local ingredients for its dishes. The portions are generous, and we even took home a to-go box of leftovers. I will definitely head back to Oak for another great steak soon!

Oak Steakhouse
17 Broad Street
Charleston, SC 29401
www.oaksteakhouserestaurant.com



1 comment: