Tuesday, July 1, 2014

EAT: Husk Restaurant, Charleston, SC


I was excited to try out the Best New Restaurant 2011, according to Bon Appetit and Southern Living Magazines, when in Charleston, SC. It did not disappoint! Besides amazing food, the servers were very knowledgeable about food allergies and making the experience memorable. 

Husk was packed at lunch and requests reservations for both lunch and dinner. Even with reservations, there is a few minute wait to prepare the table. A group of 12 walked in, but there was no availability without reservations. Husk has a big board on the wall showing the sources of their ingredients from vendors from across the Southeast. 

Our server was very knowledgeable about the ingredients of each dish. Any questions he could not answer he was happy to check with the chef. 

The menu at Husk changes almost daily. I ordered the Virginia Heritage Pork with Carolina Gold Rice, Smoky Beans, Tuscan Kale, and Pot Likker, all gluten, corn, egg, and dairy free. An amazing fusion of flavors! While at first the pork looked like a piece of tenderloin, it was pork shoulder and so tender.  To drink, I had a refreshing non-alcoholic spritzer called Our Lady of Guadalupe, a mixture of green tea, orange juice, lime juice, and burnt honey. It was perfect for a hot summer day!
My lunch companion ordered the Shrimp and Grits, which was gluten free, but of course not corn free, so I had to take his word on how good it was. His take: the shrimp and grits were fantastic, but my pork was better.

We passed on dessert after the meal, but there were a couple of gluten free options. All in all, Husk lived up to the hype! I can't wait to go back again soon!



UPDATE: Be sure to check out the Bar at Husk!  It is located behind the restaurant in the old slave quarters.  The bar is small, but rustic, and serves a great variety of cocktails and bar food. I always stick to gluten free and corn free (grain free) alcohols when ordering cocktails.  Many people with food allergies have no problem with grain alcohols since it is distilled and should be gluten free, however, I find that I react to grain alcohols. I don't drink often (especially near and during tournaments), but when I have an occasional cocktail, I stick with Potato Vodka or Rum (Cane Sugar) and away from processed mixes, which usually have high fructose corn syrup. We sampled the Charleston Light Dragoon Punch (left) and On Top of the Ol' Sierra Madre (right). 

Husk Restaurant
76 Queen St.
Charleston, SC 

No comments:

Post a Comment