Friday, July 11, 2014

EAT: High Cotton, Charleston, SC


The last night of my trip to Charleston, SC was sad because it is such a great city and I had an amazing trip. Therefore, dinner that night had to be memorable. High Cotton Restaurant, part of the Maverick Kitchens, on East Bay St. in downtown Charleston, did not disappoint! I have been amazed at how many downtown Charleston restaurants have gluten free menus or very knowledgeable staff. High Cotton had an extensive gluten free menu as well! The best part, it looked like an official menu with "Gluten Free" in large letters, not some afterthought print out piece of paper. Our server confirmed our need for gluten free, and I addressed my other allergies. Not a problem, she said, and answered other questions we had. 
My dinner companion and I decided to start out the meal with the Seared Foie Gras Mousse. Yes, I gave it another try. This time, compared to my taste test at Oak Steakhouse, also in downtown Charleston, was different. The mousse at High Cotton was much milder and paired well with the beets and blueberries that accompanied it. 

All of the items on the gluten free menu looked delicious, but I decided to try the Grilled 12oz Strip Steak with Potato and Gruyere Gratin and Baby Carrots. I choose to be dairy free and tolerate aged cheeses. I love gruyere. The steak was cooked to a perfect medium and really tasty. 
My dinner companion also ordered off the gluten free menu. The Roasted Duck Breast came with the Potato and Gruyere Gratin, Mushroom Conserva, and Marsala Sauce. Perfectly prepared!
High Cotton is part of the Maverick Southern Kitchens Group, which includes  Slightly North of Broad (see my review), Old Village Post House, and Cooks! Maverick Kitchen Stores. 

I really liked the atmosphere at High Cotton. Brick walls, dark wood, cool arches, and not too loud to have a good conversation on a busy Saturday night. I will definitely stop back in on my next trip. I hear High Cotton has a great brunch.

High Cotton
199 East Bay St. 
Charleston, SC 29401
www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com/highcotton




No comments:

Post a Comment