Friday, December 12, 2014

Sierra Mist is Corny?!

I don't drink a lot of soft drinks, but in a pinch or when I needed something sweet, the only mainstream soda I felt safe drinking with my corn allergy was PepsiCo's Sierra Mist. Most other mainstream sodas and sports drinks contain high fructose corn syrup or corn derived maltodextrin. Sierra Mist was the only mainstream soft drink to be made with real sugar... until now. PepsiCo recently added Stevia to Sierra Mist. At first, I was disappointed, as Stevia is 200 times sweeter than sugar and caused the new Sierra Mist to taste too sweet. Then, after having unexplained corn intolerance symptoms, I started thinking about Stevia and doing some research. Not even mentioning the nasty chemicals required to process this "natural" sweetener, it contains dextrose or maltodextrin, both corn derivatives. Seriously?? So much for the natural stevia plant that is good for you and better than sugar?!? The actual plant is ok, but be ready to grow your own or check store bought stevia ingredients carefully. 

What gluten free and corn free beverages are you drinking? I need some ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment