Monday, December 1, 2014

EAT: Home Team BBQ, Charleston, SC

I don't want to say that I am a BBQ conisoiur being from the BBQ capital of the world, North Carolina, but I kind of am. I do really enjoy trying BBQ from other parts of the country and have found some great options outside my home state. Home Team BBQ in Charleston is no exception. I checked out the Sullivan's Island location for lunch (HTBBQ also has a West Ashley location). 
Home Team BBQ is similar to one of my favorite BBQ establishments, Southern Soul BBQ in St. Simons Island, GA (both regularly participated in cook-offs between each other) and both have won numerous national awards for their BBQ. I was really excited when I started to explain my food allergies to the server who promptly brought a gluten free menu. It is great to know that the vinegars used on the meats are gluten free. 
I decided upon the pulled pork plate. It comes with two sides. The gluten free menu limits the side options, but there are still several to choose from. With my other food allergies, I was even more limited (no coleslaw or potato salad - mayo (egg) based), so I went with two sides of collards. My photo does not depict how massive the plate was, but the portion size was quite large. The pork was tasty, not dry and had a light vinegar base on it. There were other homemade sauces on the table to add if you so desired. 
My lunch companion ordered the two meat plate with beef brisket and ribs, all gluten free. The coleslaw and mashed potatoes were his sides. The brisket was tender and had a great flavor. The ribs were good as well. 

Let me know what you think about Home Team BBQ and where your favorite BBQ joint is located!


Home Team BBQ
2209 Middle Street
Sullivans Island, SC
843.883.3131

1205 Ashley River Rd.
West Ashley, SC
843.225.7427
http://www.hometeambbq.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment