Saturday, December 27, 2014

Holiday Travel and Need Safe Food Allergy Free Fast Food Options?

Holiday travel can be nerve racking. The traffic, the long hours, and the food allergens everywhere make traveling no fun. I find it difficult to find safe food options for my food allergies on travel days. Many times, I will plan ahead and pack a lunch. But what happens when you take a last minute trip or are so busy, you forget to pack snacks? 

I have a couple fast food restaurants I feel safe eating. My favorite is Chipotle. A nation-wide chain, Chipotle is great with food allergies. I order a burrito bowl and ask for the server to change gloves. I also ask for cheese and lettuce from the back since those items are not served with tongs and the server handles them with their gloved hand. 

Another favorite is Dickey's BBQ, another national chain. I order the pulled pork and ask the server to change gloves and cut the meat on a clean surface to avoid cross contamination. 

Zoes Kitchen also takes care of food allergies. They have gluten free items listed on the menu. I always emphasize my need for gluten free during my order. 

For me, I know there is always a chance of cross contamination, but I feel safest at these "fast food" restaurants. What are your favorite travel "fast food" restaurants?

No comments:

Post a Comment