Thursday, February 26, 2015

EAT: Sage Restaurant, Aria Hotel, Las Vegas, NV


So, you wanted to know my favorite restaurant (and very food allergy friendly) in Las Vegas??  It is Sage Restaurant, located in the Aria Hotel. With a hip, modern vibe, low lighting, and amazingly entertaining staff, Sage has great food and great fun all in one.

My gluten free dinner companion raved about Sage, and I thought, could it really live up to all the hype. Yes! I even ate there twice during my trip! Both times, I was with a large group, and we all know how nerve-racking it is to eat with food allergies in a large group. Will my  requests for gluten and corn free be heard amongst all the glutenous bread eaters? 

My first trip to Sage really set the stage. Bond was our server, and if you have a chance to eat at Sage, be sure to ask to be seated in Bond's section. He was super knowledgeable about the food, made great recommendations, and was the most entertaining server I have ever had! Sage does not have a gluten free menu, but Bond went over the menu with me, checked on a couple of items, and made sure my order (and any shared appetizers) would be gluten and corn free.


My gluten free dinner companion recommended that I order my own Foie Gras Custard Brulee and it did not disappoint! Complete with Kumquat and Toasted Cocoa Nibs, it was like heaven on earth. Smooth, rich, and creamy, it went perfectly with the gluten free and corn free Edmund's Oast bread from Charleston, SC I brought with me on the trip.
The table ordered the Grilled Spanish Octopus with Bloomsdale Spinach, Chorizo Aioli, and Marcona Almond Romesco. This was my first taste of Octopus! Interesting with a lot of flavor, but the octopus had kind of rubbery texture and tasted like chicken. ;)
For my entree, Bond recommended the Maine Day Boat Scallops with Braised Oxtail, Wild Mushrooms, and Salted Caramel Reduction. My gluten free dinner companion and I both ordered the dish. Very tasty! The three large scallops were seared nicely and the oxtail gave the dish added flavor. I really liked that the server who brought out our entrees stated that each dish was gluten free. The added touch always makes me feel that the kitchen staff took extra care of our order to ensure the safest meal possible.

On our second trip to Sage, unfortunately Bond was not working that night, but our server was knowledgeable about food allergies as well, yet much more subdued than Bond. That night, we ordered the gluten free Foie Gras Custard Brulee for appetizers and I ordered the gluten free Grimaud Farms Duck with Beluga Lentils, Spiced Pumpkin, and Quince. The duck had a nice flavor and of course, the presentation was on point.

My gluten free dinner companion ordered the gluten free Grilled American Kobe Skirt Steak with Shishito Pepper, Salsa Verde, Creamy Cauliflower, and Almonds. He said the steak was cooked to a nice medium rare and paired well with the salsa verde and cauliflower.
For dessert, there was a nice selection, but I highly recommend the Foie Gras Candy Bar. Bond checked on its gluten and corn free status and it was a go. Be sure to order no popcorn garnish if you are corn free. It was the most amazing dessert I have ever had! Small in size, it is perfect for one person. It was very rich, smooth, and creamy. A Snickers bar times 100! It has Salt and Pepper Peanut Butter Cream, Bourbon Caramel Drizzle, amd Single Origin Milk Chocolate. Of course, everyone ordered the Candy Bar both nights! How often are you in Las Vegas anyway?! Doesn't the saying go: "What Happens In Vegas, Stays In Vegas"? Does that include calories??

If you are in Las Vegas, you must go to Sage Restaurant in the Aria Hotel. The service, the selection, and the food allergy accommodations make it a must visit. I am already counting down to my next time to Sage!

Sage Restaurant
Aria Hotel
3730 South Las Vegas Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89109


No comments:

Post a Comment