Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Eat: Fresh First, Fort Lauderdale, FL

Is is possible to stay in a hotel right next door to a cafe that is completely gluten free, corn free, peanut free and organic?!  Well, I did in Fort Lauderdale, FL when I found Fresh First in the Yacht District on SE 17th Street. Tucked away and hard to find, Fresh First offers dine in and takeout for breakfast and lunch. It also has another location on the north side of Fort Lauderdale on North Federal Hwy. 

Breakfast items included eggs, oatmeal, and waffles. Lunch consisted of sandwiches, burgers, soups, salads, and rice bowls. Fresh First even makes smoothies, and carries fresh juices, wine, and ciders.  
I stopped in on a Saturday morning around 9am to look for a snack to take with me on my cruise. The place was completely empty except for employees! There were five cruise ships leaving that day from the dock five minutes away from the restaurant, plus locals in the area. Perhaps Fort Lauderdale has early diners, but I found out that the restaurant opens daily at 8am. Asking if they just opened, I was told that they had been at the location for several years. The decor was nice and inviting, but I was surprised that there was not a display for muffins, cupcakes, cookies, take home items, etc. With no display (and no point of purchase opportunity so people can see something yummy and add it to their order), it is hard to decide what to order. Also, I found the staff to be unfriendly. One staff member just sitting down to her own breakfast, was curt and acted like I was an inconvenience.  
I ordered a Banana Nut Muffin and a Strawberry Quinoa Cupcake with Buttercream Frosting. Both were delicious! I love to be able to order a gluten free bakery item and not have to worry about corn (a common replacement of wheat flour). Only after I told the staff I was a blogger, did they oblige and take the above photo of the delicious pastry items of the day located on a rack in the kitchen.

I will be back in the Fort Lauderdale area in a couple of weeks and hope to stop back in to Fresh First. The items I tried were delicious, but I can't help but wonder if the lack of customers on a Saturday morning was due to a less than personable attitude of the staff.

Fresh First
1637 SE 17th Street (Yacht District across street from Cruiseport)
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
Monday-Saturday 8am-3pm

4520 North Federal Hwy
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
Monday-Friday 8am-3pm



No comments:

Post a Comment