Friday, January 15, 2016

EAT Update: Fresh First, Fort Lauderdale, FL

I blogged about Fresh First, a gluten free restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, FL this time last year. To read that blog post, go here. I returned there for lunch yesterday. Not sure if it was even still in business, we know how allergy free restaurants come and go, I was pleasantly surprised by my visit. Fresh First was bought two months ago by a sweet couple, Eliana and Tarso, both of whom have vast experience in the food industry. Neither are gluten free, but continue the mission of previous owners to provide great gluten free, corn free, peanut free, non-GMO food in a dedicated environment. Both are vegan and have added quite a few vegan options to the menu, like egg free mayo and tofu options. Many of the menu items are still the same, so your favorites are still available. Just a note, the north location of Fresh First has closed. 

I was greeted warmly by the staff as I entered, finding quite a few diners eating a late lunch at 2:30pm. A steady stream of patrons dined and grabbed takeout while I was there. I ordered the Chicken Salad Sandwich, usually a no-go option for me at most places due to my egg allergy. The egg free mayo is homemade and with the addition of celery, dill, and Granny Smith apples, the chicken salad was most delicious. The gluten free, corn free bread had a nice flavor with the addition of herbs mixed in. It has been over three years since I have had chicken salad that I or my mom have not made! The sandwich came with a side of red cabbage coleslaw, which had a nice little kick with the addition of cumin and of course, the vegan mayo. 

While chatting with Eliana, I could see her passion to provide safe meals for those with food allergies was strong. All menu items are made in-house, so inquiring about ingredients is not a problem. I was really excited to see that Eliana and her staff were much more personable and helpful than I had encountered in my previous visit under the old ownership, so I know the new ownership will do wonders for the business. I look forward to returning on my next trip to the area. Oh, and make sure to order the Quinoa Cupcake with Goat Cheese Frosting for dessert! Delish!

Fresh First
1637 SE 17th Street (Yacht District, near the Cruiseport)
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
954.763.3344
Monday-Saturday 8am-3pm

No comments:

Post a Comment