Monday, January 19, 2015

EAT: Don Pablo's Mexican Restaurant, Orlando, FL

If you are in Orlando, FL, but want a break from Disney or are staying near the Orange County Convention Center for business, there are a ton of restaurant choices on International Drive. I checked several restaurants near my hotel, only to find either no gluten free menu or a gluten free menu with five items. I stopped in Don Pablo's, a Mexican food chain in 15 states, and found an extensive gluten free menu! 

I am always a little apprehensive with Mexican restaurants due to my corn allergy, but Amanda, the manager, came to the table, chatted with me about my allergies, and checked ingredients of the items I had questions about. She told me that the corn tortilla chips that are brought to the table when you arrive are not fried in a dedicated fryer and therefore could be contaminated. 

I decided on the Steak Fajitas with no tortillas. Amanda personally and promptly brought out the meal. The marinade on the chicken is not gluten free (soy sauce). The fritos (beans) and rice are gluten free, but the rice seasoning has cornstarch and therefore, is not corn free. The cheese that comes with the fajitas has cornstarch and is not corn free. The sour cream is Daisy brand and is gluten and corn free. The fajitas were tasty and the pico de gallo that comes with them had a nice flavor. I had a glass of wine with dinner and it was a generous pour for the price. 

I really appreciated Amanda's help to ensure I had as safe a meal as possible. With the fun, Mexican themed atmosphere and the offer of a free group photo to take home as a memory of the meal, Don Pablo's is a great family friendly option. The extensive gluten free menu allows options for those with food allergies. Be sure to check with the manager to ensure a safe meal. 

Don Pablo's
8717 International Drive
Orlando, FL 32819
www.donpablos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment