Monday, October 6, 2014

EAT: Village Tavern

The Village Tavern is a small regional chain with 11 locations located in North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Arizona, Colorado, and the Philippines. I recently visited the original location in Reynolda Village in Winston Salem, NC. It opened in 1984 and is still a popular place to eat. The addition of their gluten free menu has also enabled those with food allergies to dine in a safer environment.
Village Tavern's Gluten Free Menu has a variety of salads, pizzas, and pastas. They carry Schar's gluten free pasta (careful Corn free friends, it has corn flour in it). I find that the entree selection is limited with my corn allergy. I am also apprehensive about ordering gluten free pizzas and pasta in any restaurant serving gluten filled equivalents. One never knows how careful the kitchen staff is. Since I am very sensitive to gluten and corn, I opted for the Grilled Tilapia with Mango and Avocado salsa and mashed potatoes and spinach as my sides. The salsa was pretty tasty , but more was needed to cover the bland tilapia. The mashed potatoes and spinach were good. 
My dinner companion ordered from the gluten free menu as well and selected the Shrimp and Grits. He said it was tasty. The grits were creamy and had bacon and onions mixed in. 

Every Village Tavern location I have dined has been a popular spot. A gathering spot for friends and sports fans in their bar area. The addition of the gluten free menu gives those with a gluten allergy the ability to gather with friends. 

Village Tavern
www.villagetavern.com


No comments:

Post a Comment