Tuesday, October 28, 2014

EAT: Finnegan's Wake Irish Pub, Winston Salem, NC

I always get excited when I eat at a restaurant I have been to many times, only to find that they have now noted on the menu which items are gluten free! I had this experience at Finnegan's Wake Irish Pub in Winston Salem, NC. Irish pubs tend to be tough places for gluten free eaters because many items are beer battered and fried. Finnegan's has these items, but also a good selection of gluten free items. 
Finnegan's specializes in draft beer and even has Strongbow Gluten Free Cider on tap. They also have Omission Pale Ale and Lager as gluten free options. 
I ordered the gluten free Cider Glazed Scallops. Was it too much that I ordered the cider AND the cider glazed scallops?? No way! Yum! They are also corn and egg free in case you have those allergies as well. 

Finnegan's carries gluten free bread from French Meadow for sandwiches and burgers. I did ask my server about the gluten free chips (fries) listed on the menu and if there was a dedicated fryer. She said they have two fryers, but they tend to be divided between meat items and vegetarian items. Since Finnegan's has beer battered and fried vegetables on the menu, she said she could not guarantee that the fries are free of cross contamination. Those of you who are very sensitive, beware. 

Finnegan's Wake offers a good selection for those with food allergies. They even include a couple of the traditional Irish dishes that are gluten free such as Corned Beef and Cabbage and the Irish Beef Kabobs. It is great to be able to eat safely at an Irish Pub. My Irish Heritage thanks you!

Finnegan's Wake
620 N. Trade St. 
Winston Salem, NC 27101
www.finneganswake.net



No comments:

Post a Comment