Saturday, August 27, 2016

New Product Review: Simple Mills Pumpkin Muffin Mix

The Simple Mills products have been spotted on more shelves recently at Whole Foods Market and health food stores. I finally decided to try them out and was excited to do so since they are so food allergy friendly. Gluten free, grain free, dairy free, soy free, and paleo friendly, Simple Mills has only eight simple ingredients. I tried the Pumpkin Muffin mix, which contains almond flour, pumpkin, coconut sugar, coconut flour, arrowroot powder, spices, baking soda, and sea salt. I added chopped walnuts. I love pumpkin muffins and they always remind me of fall, but these muffins (made as directed on box) were not as pumpkin-y as I expected. They were dense and baked quickly (less than 30 min). I was disappointed, as I have not had muffins since going grain free earlier this year. With the limited grain free options, I was hoping the mixes would offer a tasty, convenient option for home or travel. This particular one left me wanting more and the price ($7.99) was hard to swallow based on the blandness. My mix made 12 medium size muffins, which is not a lot, but expected with gluten free mixes. 
Try adding pumpkin, cream cheese, or other desired ingredients to enhance flavor. What are your favorite gluten free, paleo mixes?

No comments:

Post a Comment