Saturday, October 3, 2015

EAT: Posana, Asheville, NC

I love completely gluten free restaurants! To be able to sit down and not have to give my gluten free spiel to the server is always a plus. However, with all of my other food allergies, I am not 100% safe in a 100% gluten free restaurant. I still like to support restaurants who go the extra mile to be gluten free and usually, they "get" other food allergies and know the ingredients of their dishes. A great 100% gluten free restaurant in Asheville, NC is Posana. Posana does not even scream "I am a gluten free restaurant" out front, which is nice, but I verified with my server just to make sure. I was really excited about dining here, as I had heard tons of great comments about Posana.
What is a gluten free restaurant without gluten free bread?? Luckily, the bread met my other food allergy requirements and I was able to enjoy the breadsticks. Very tasty, and I liked the addition of the sesame seeds. Butter and Olive Oil was offered for your dipping pleasure.
I ordered the Sea Scallops. I was hoping to try a dish I could not get at non-gluten free restaurants, like pasta, but Posana does not really even offer a gluten free pasta dish. The Scallops had field peas, smoked bacon, Fork Mountain Farms patty pan squash, and French sorrel puree. Great presentation, but I thought the dish was lacking flavor. It left me wanting something more. I did like getting seven scallops on the plate, a gracious number.
My dinner companion ordered the HNG Pork Chop with charred corn, cherry tomatoes, goat cheese cream, basil, and chow chow. The pork was cooked nicely and paired well with the goat cheese. He said the accompaniments were tasty, but I could not sample due to my corn allergy.

All in all, it is great to dine at a restaurant where the servers are well aware of gluten free and other food allergies. The food was good, but maybe due to the "gluten-free-ness" of the restaurant, I was expecting awesome. The ambiance made up for it though, and I highly recommend sitting outside and enjoying the live music from local artists that rotates regularly outside the restaurant. Great talent and fun people watching from Posana's patio!

Posana Restaurant
1 Biltmore Ave.
Asheville, NC 28801
828.505.3969
http://posanarestaurant.com

No comments:

Post a Comment