Wednesday, September 10, 2014

EAT: Second Trip to Husk Restaurant During Charleston Restaurant Week

I finally had the opportunity to return to Husk Restsurant in Charleston, SC for dinner. I had a fantastic meal the last time I ate at Husk for lunch, so I was eager to return to one of the top restaurants in the country to see of it lives up to the hype and up to my first experience. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint. 
Last week was Charleston Restaurant Week. I highly recommend checking out as many restaurants as possible during this annual event. I wish I had, as the popular restaurants book early (my reservation was made a month in advance, unaware of Restaurant Week). Participating restaurants offer a multiple-course prix fixe menu, so no substitutions or normal menu items available. At first, with all my food allergies, I was a little apprehensive about the menu. I knew if Husk had the entree from my first trip, I was definitely getting that again. I thought I would probably have to skip dessert since the options did not look allergen free on the menu. A chat with my server and I found out there was a gluten free and corn free option for each course!
For the first course, I ordered the Carolina Gold Risotto with smoky tomatoes, sweet peas, and goat's milk feta, minus the soft poached egg. Super tasty! Since I am corn free, risotto (rice) has become a new favorite. It had a consistency of grits, the only thing this Southern girl misses corn-wise, and a lot of flavor.
My dinner companion ordered gluten free as well and chose the Marinated Nectarines with Surryano Ham, Roasted Sweet Corn, Frilly Mustard Greens, Toasted VA Peanuts, and Honey Ricotta. With the addition of corn, I had to pass on a sample, but he said it was quite good. I loved the presentation with the wooden bowl! He did comment that my risotto was the winner of the two.
For the main course, we both decided on the VA Heritage Pork with creamy Sea Island Red Peas and Smoky Butterbeans, Mustard Greens, and Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes. The pork shoulder dish was very similar to my lunch entree I had during my first visit to Husk and it was just as good.
Now, for dessert! All of the choices looked gluten-tastic on the menu, but our server quickly pointed out that the Chocolate Fudge Cake and Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream was flourless and gluten free. Yum! What a finish to a fantastic meal! The chocolate cake was really good, but I have had better. The ice cream, on the other hand, was OMG! I don't eat dairy by choice, except for certain cheeses, but the ice cream was a must splurge. It had real mint flavor, like the way mint is muddled in a mojito, not that fake mint flavor you find in most ice creams.

All in all, my second trip to Husk lived up to the hype. It is my favorite restaurant in Charleston so far, and I will definitely be back. I am also looking forward to checking out Charleston Restaurant Week next year. What a great opportunity to take in the local cuisine!

Husk Restaurant
76 Queen St. 
Charleston, SC 
www.huskrestaurant.com

No comments:

Post a Comment