Friday, August 15, 2014

EAT: Primal Food and Spirits, Durham, NC

I always get excited to try a completely gluten free restaurant. The dedication and preparation to run a gluten free restaurant is quite a task. Even though I have multiple food allergies besides gluten, I can at least feel safe from gluten and know the staff will be more knowledgeable about ingredients and allergens. This was no different at Primal Food and Spirits in Durham, NC.  It is conveniently located near the Streets at Southpoint Mall on NC-54.
Primal hosted the Gluten and Allergen Free Wellness Event Blogger and Speaker Dinner. Thirty three gluten free "fanatics" descended upon Primal on a busy Friday night. Open only two weeks, the staff did an excellent job taking care of us with multiple food allergies in their private room as well as a few tables in the main dining area since we had so many people. Primal also has a nice bar area where natural ingredients are mixed into cocktails from a large ice chest in the middle of the bar.

There were so many menu choices and knowing all were gluten free, the group debated what to order. I decided on the Grass-Fed Tri-Tip Steak with heirloom tomato and cucumber salad. I am not a fan of cucumbers and when I inquired about changing my side, I was told I was unable to. The steak was cooked to a nice medium, very tasty and had a tasty sauce on it.
My dinner companion had the Pasture-Raised Pork Chop with arugula and sundried tomato relish.  The pork chop was quite large and the sundried tomato relish was yummy. Other dinner companions at our table enjoyed the shrimp and grits, the 30 hour braised beef shortrib, heirloom tomato and watermelon salad, and the crab cakes.  No complaints all around!  We were delighted to be able to enjoy a gluten free meal with no fuss!
When it came time for desserts, the group eagerly looked over the menu, but only a few decided to indulge! I had a bite of the Flourless Chocolate Cake and wow! Yummy, rich chocolate, with a smooth texture. I heard the pound cake was delicious as well!

The Gluten and Allergen Free Wellness Event bloggers really appreciated Primal accommodating our large group on a busy Friday night! Everything went smoothly and the food was excellent! I highly recommend if you are in Durham to check out Primal.

Primal Food and Spirits
202 North Carolina 54 #107
Durham, NC 27713
919.248.3000



No comments:

Post a Comment