Tuesday, January 21, 2014

EAT: Healthy Fast Food?


Most fast food restaurants are out when you have food allergies, unless you are interested in eating a prepackaged salad. Yuck! My favorite fast food meal (pretty healthy too!) is a Burrito Bowl from Chipotle. In my Burrito Bowl, I usually get rice, black beans, meat, chunky mild salsa, guacamole, and a sprinkle of cheese. 

Now, there are plenty of things I cannot eat there: flour tortillas, corn tortillas, corn chips, and corn salsa to name a few. Chipotle has a list of common allergens in its menu items on its web site located at: http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/special_diet_information/special_diet_information.aspx To get as safe a meal as possible (no guarantees when eating out!) and since they touch the tortillas with their gloved hands, I kindly notify the server that I am allergic to the tortillas. Usually even before I can ask the person to please change their gloves, the server is already doing so! Chipotle totally gets it! The whole line of servers change their gloves for me or one server personally handles my order, even during peak hours. If this sounds like an extreme request, it is not for those of us who are very sensitive, where even a tiny amount of an offending food can cause a reaction. Since the cheese and the lettuce are the only items handled with gloved hands, the servers are more than happy to grab some from the back when asked.

When a restaurant makes an effort to accommodate those of us with food allergies, I think it is very important to support these businesses and thank them regularly. When a server at Chipotle really goes out of his or her way to make sure my meal is as safe as possible, I thank him/her for taking care of me, make sure to get a name, and send Chipotle a quick email thanking them for the allergen training and how a particular server went above and beyond to make my experience great. And, no surprise, I always get a response thanking me for my patronage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment